Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Design it, Sew it on, then Cut It Out

Hmmm... I might have to come up with a more catchy name for this technique. I use this idea a lot, mostly for shirts, but I've done pillows as well. This picture is me and my little sister, Kelsey... about 3 years ago. I had made her a pirate ship t-shirt for her birthday. On the back I just took a fabric that had little ships on it and made three window for them. On the front a pirate ship. I would print my design on a light weight paper then pin it on the front of the shirt. Then I would pin the patterned fabric on the back of the shirt. Next I would sew

over the design two times, to make it more sturdy. Then rip away the paper... this is where the light weight paper comes in handy. Finally I would cut the original shirt on the inside of the design. For the pirate ship I had to add some stitching to complete the picture. For the shirt I am wearing in the picture I chose to do a little boy fishing and some birds. I did a bird on the back of the shirt too. Most recently I used this technique on a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment